Re: Fam mustn't depend on portmap (was Re: new portmap packages, testers wanted)

Steve Greenland, on 2004-01-20, 14:56, you wrote:
> Just out of curiousity, why doesn't it just use getservbyname() (on
> localhost)? If I submitted a patch to do so (before falling back to
> RPC), would it be considered? That way, most local users wouldn't need
> portmap.

Sure it would, go ahead, please.

> Hmmm, I seem to be assuming that a famd is running, which the portmapper
> technique wouldn't require. Is that show stopper? Is there any reason
> that famd can't just run all the time, like any other daemon? Presumably
> if no one is actually monitoring any nodes, the overhead is negligible.

It does run all the time.  It can be run from inetd but this was removed
from the Debian packages because it introduced bugs.

But why does everybody hate portmap that much?  It is not dangerous, it
does not run as root, there is not much you can do with, so why even
bother?

Joerg

--
Joerg "joergland" Wendland
GPG: 51CF8417 FP: 79C0 7671 AFC7 315E 657A  F318 57A3 7FBD 51CF 8417