Re: Managing changes to configure.in as patches

On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 06:20:00PM +0000, Andrew Suffield wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 02:15:23PM +0100, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> > As an added bonus, this also fixes the issue with patching
> > autotools-related files: since patch does not care about timestamps, if
> > you create one patch with changes to both configure.in and configure,
> > you may end up with a configure.in which has a more recent mtime than
> > it's related configure, especially on the slower architectures,
> > resulting in automake trying to regenerate it.
>
> Stop. If automake is doing that, maintainer mode is enabled. Your
> build is going to break in unexpected ways sooner or later, because
> dpkg-source doesn't preserve timestamps.

It doesn't preserve timestamps in the diff.gz; the timestamps in the
tar.gz are not altered. So unless the timestamps on auto-generated files
are already screwed in the .tar.gz, you should be fine with this scheme.
Still, adding AM_MAINTAINER_MODE remains a good idea nevertheless,
especially as we're talking about patching configure.in here anyway.

Regards,

Daniel.