Re: Integrate Knoppix in Debian (was: Re: Debian Enterprise?)

On Sun, Nov 30, 2003 at 04:31:28PM +1100, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
> For a new user - !!in fact just about -any- user!! - navigating
> thousands of packages in dselect could consume days. At some point I
> stopped and went "ok, I'll just assume there's way more interesting
> programs here than I'll ever have time for in one lifetime, time to
> unselect everything I've selected over the last 6 hours, and install as
> I need/ discover something immediately useful at the time".

I expect I'll eat these words, but I don't find the # of packages so
vast.  My stategy is to basically never browse libs or libs-devel --
they're just noise.  I apt-get build-depends things like konqueror,
mozilla, and gnome-terminal, and most of things come on it.

The rest of doesn't take *too* long to browse.  It did take me quite a
while to try the hundreds of "personal database" or "pim" like things
and realized I didn't like any of them.

(I'm waiting for Rekall and writing my own gnome-xml tiny relational DB
thing.)