Re: Integrate Knoppix in Debian (was: Re: Debian Enterprise?)

On Sun, 2003-11-30 at 14:31, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 30, 2003 at 09:48:16AM +1100, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
> > I'm thinking of three things, are there more?:
> > 1) live CD creation
> > 2) custom install CD creation
> > 3) base install, then "aptitude install flavour"
>
> > 3) sounds just like tasks - is there anything more than tasks that is
> > thought of for "flavours"?
>
> Sure. A university CS/IT department might want to provide a Debian CD that
> lets students easily (and cheaply) get all the software they might need in
> their course. The idea then would be to provide a CD with a whole bunch
> of software that students can choose from, rather than just installing
> it all. Some might need various compilers, others might only need some
> databases and frontends. Aptitude and dselect are good frontends for this,
> but only if you can (a) get rid of all the junk the students are almost
> certainly not interested in, and, ideally, (b) if you can rearrange
> the sections/priorities to indicate which packages are needed for which
> subjects, or which packages would be useful, but aren't necessary.

I think a desire for (extensions|alternatives to dselect/ aptitude and
the like) simpler (/"customized") package selection UIs will resonate
with many. It's something I've thought for years.

<flame-suit on> I imagine a hierarchical dependency configurator, ala
ESR's CML2 kernel config front end.</>

For a new user - !!in fact just about -any- user!! - navigating
thousands of packages in dselect could consume days. At some point I
stopped and went "ok, I'll just assume there's way more interesting
programs here than I'll ever have time for in one lifetime, time to
unselect everything I've selected over the last 6 hours, and install as
I need/ discover something immediately useful at the time".

> > Is there more to flavours than tasks, custom install CDs and custom live
> > CDs concepts - what is required in addition (package-wise, mechanically/
> > technically) to realise this concept "Debian Flavours"?
>
> In essence, you don't really have "flavours" until you can say "I want
> to generate the *perfect* distribution for <foo group of users>" and be
> able to do that using Debian, without running gcc once.

Here's looking forward to it :) of course, a 95% (short of "perfect")
solution will fill a big void and make a bunch of sub projects happy I'm
sure.

cheers
zen

--