Re: Integrate Knoppix in Debian (was: Re: Debian Enterprise?)

On Sun, Nov 30, 2003 at 09:48:16AM +1100, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
> I'm thinking of three things, are there more?:
> 1) live CD creation
> 2) custom install CD creation
> 3) base install, then "aptitude install flavour"

> 3) sounds just like tasks - is there anything more than tasks that is
> thought of for "flavours"?

Sure. A university CS/IT department might want to provide a Debian CD that
lets students easily (and cheaply) get all the software they might need in
their course. The idea then would be to provide a CD with a whole bunch
of software that students can choose from, rather than just installing
it all. Some might need various compilers, others might only need some
databases and frontends. Aptitude and dselect are good frontends for this,
but only if you can (a) get rid of all the junk the students are almost
certainly not interested in, and, ideally, (b) if you can rearrange
the sections/priorities to indicate which packages are needed for which
subjects, or which packages would be useful, but aren't necessary.

> Is there more to flavours than tasks, custom install CDs and custom live
> CDs concepts - what is required in addition (package-wise, mechanically/
> technically) to realise this concept "Debian Flavours"?

In essence, you don't really have "flavours" until you can say "I want
to generate the *perfect* distribution for <foo group of users>" and be
able to do that using Debian, without running gcc once. Perfect means
exactly what it says.

Cheers,
aj

               Linux.conf.au 2004 -- Because we can.