Re: Integrate Knoppix in Debian (was: Re: Debian Enterprise?)

On Thu, Nov 27, 2003 at 12:09:16PM +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
> The plan to build live CDs for these Custom Distributions is
> (currently) just for *demonstration* purpose.  To get a Custom
> Distribution *installed* onto your system you will ned *official*
> Debian CDs.

I'm not sure about this. Debian-NP's bootable CD has (some) code in it
that's not in Debian but I wouldn't say the work is categorically
non-Debian since the *VAST* majority of data on the CD is pure
debian.org debs. If were were adopting the attitude that Debian-NP
BootCDs were non-Debian, we wouldn't have bothered removing non-free
drivers from the Morphix CD we modified[1].

More importantly, I don't think it's worth dragging this discussion
out. We have identical goals and I think that right now we should
focus on those goals, and on accomplishing them, more than labels.

> The goal has to be a clean Debian install and no Knoppix-like hack.

I'm not claiming you disagree with this but I think that the goal
should rather be to work within the Debian system to create a space
for Custom distributions *and* bootable CDs (custom, vanilla,
whatever) in a way that removes any need for Knoppix-like hacks.

Regards,
Mako

[1] Well, I probably would have myself but I'm just making a point. :)

--
Benjamin Mako Hill
mako@debian.org