Re: Debian IS for the enterprise

On Thu, Nov 20, 2003 at 07:53:42AM -0600, John Hasler wrote:
> Tom writes:
> > I had a friend who worked at Bell in the very early 1960s.  He told me
> > before the phone system went digital there was a special code you could
> > issue which would activate the microphone when the phone was on the hook.
>
> He was lying.  1960s phones contain only passive components and switches.
> The hookswitch disconnects the microphone.

Maybe.  It was told to me in the context of many other phone phreaker
things he knew, stuff like Captain Krunch and Woz did.  Actually he
never said this was in the 1960s, he told me stories about working there
during the dangerous strikes in early 60s, and that "up until the switch
to digitial, you could activate the mic while it was on the hook", so
maybe that was later?

He knew all kinds of tricks about calling information, and entering a
code, to get into the local loop.  He told me about the "internet" that
wasn't the internet that you could jack into with a special device (I
think it was IBM's globalnet).

Of course, I didn't verify any of it, he could have been a bullshitter.