Re: Debian Roadmap

Ben Collins <bcollins@debian.org> writes:

> On Thu, Nov 20, 2003 at 07:30:53PM +0530, KRISHNAPPA,SREEDHARAMURTHY (HP-India,ex2) wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > We would like to know the roadmap for the Debian distribution, for about a
> > year at least (more if possible). We need to plan accordingly for our
> > products' certification.
> >
> > We would to know what all are supported now and what plans for future
> > releases and support platforms etc.
> >
> > I could not see that info kept on your website www.debian.org. All that I
> > got is there is one release codenamed as 'sarge' numbered 3.1 will be
> > released next but still no dates. So I'm writing to you.
> >
> > I hope you do the needful.
>
> You're asking a loose nit group of some 1000+ volunteers who work
> independently to produce a "road map"? That's not very likely. Even if
> such a document were produced, it's no guarantee that we'll follow it,
> since each item would require someone willing to do the work.
>
> Debian hardly has release goals, and even those goals depend not only on
> individual developers with no forcible guidelines, they depend on
> outside groups like Xfree86, GCC, GNU/Libc, and the kernel developers.
> There's just no way to put down what will be done.

But we will not give up, sell out, go away or do any other thing a
firm could do.

Debian supports everything with enough people willing to help. As for
the sarge release look at ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/sarge/ for
the architectures present. All those are planed to be released unless
unforseen problems arise (like all developers taking a sabatical
for a certain arch).

As for future support ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/sid/ shows you
what is suported as unstable. There is also stuff like debian-bsd
thats being worked on but thats probably a few years in the future
before it can be considered for a release.

As to a release plan, the plan was set to release december the
first. But given our goal is stability and functionality and not
pushing a release that won't hold. If you want to certify software for
Debian you can check it against sarge but you should wait for the
release for a final test. Its not likely much will change but just to
be save.

MfG
        Goswin