Re: Anaconda multi-arch support (WAS Re: status of Progeny projects)

On Wed, Oct 29, 2003 at 01:45:49PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 29, 2003 at 07:53:17AM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
> > >
> > > Yellowdog Linux uses anaconda. They're solely focussed on powerpc, so if
> > > they provide more powerpc support than stock anaconda it could probably
> > > be incorporated.
> >
> > But do they care about the more obscure subarches, or only those that
> > make sense commercially ? I am thinking in particular about the
> > powerpc/apus subarches that debian supports, and which need amiga
> > partitioning and boot-loaders, which i seriously doubt they did
> > consider.
>
> So you're saying you're unwilling to do any work whatsoever to ensure
> Anaconda's portability?  You want it all handed to your on a silver
> platter or you're just going to take your toys and go home?

Nope, i am telling i will invest my time in debian-installer portability
issues, and that powerpc support is a bit more than just neworld pmac
support.

> And this point isn't even specific to Anaconda.  What are you doing to
> ensure the portability of d-i to obscure subarchitectures, especially
> non-PowerPC-based ones?

Well, my parted and debian-installer work should also benefit m68k/amiga,
possibly even m68k/atari, indirectly :)) And the subarch specific framework
will also benefit subarches of other architectures, i guess.

Friendly,

Sven Luther