Re: status of Progeny projects

On Mon, 2003-10-27 at 09:02, Martin Schulze wrote:

> Andreas Metzler wrote:
> > I assume it was a lot easier to port RedHat's installer to Debian than
> > it would have been to improve Debian installer _and_ write a X11
> > frontend for it. If you throw "porting to all 11 supported
> > architectures into the calculation the outcome might change.
>
> I agree that it is sometimes easier to throw away other people's work
> and start from scratch, ignoring the developers who spent time on
> this.

Oh, grow up.

Does having people working on packaging and maintaining KDE in Debian
destroy the effort of those working on GNOME?

Does having people work on hurd-i386 destroy the effort of those working
on linux-i386?

Does aptitude destroy the effort bestowed upon dselect?

Of course not!

If there's one thing Debian can be applauded for, it's the diversity of
projects within it and the equal status afforded to them all.

I don't see any reason why this shouldn't extend to the installer.  If
Progeny have managed to port the (quite excellent) Anaconda to Debian,
that's fantastic news!  It's a well known, easy to use installer that
could quite possibly bring several boat loads of new users to Debian put
off until now by the utter evilness that is boot-floppies.

Quite frankly I find your "nobody should work on anything but d-i"
attitude childish.  I expected better from someone of your reputation.

Scott

"One Installer to ask them all, One Installer to find them,
 One Installer to download them all and on the system install them"
--
Have you ever, ever felt like this?