Re: status of Progeny projects

Scott James Remnant wrote:
> > Andreas Metzler wrote:
> > > I assume it was a lot easier to port RedHat's installer to Debian than
> > > it would have been to improve Debian installer _and_ write a X11
> > > frontend for it. If you throw "porting to all 11 supported
> > > architectures into the calculation the outcome might change.
> >
> > I agree that it is sometimes easier to throw away other people's work
> > and start from scratch, ignoring the developers who spent time on
> > this.
> >
> Oh, grow up.

Since you've removed essential parts of the paragraph I've written
which could lead some people to interpret it as false as you did,
I'm quoting it entirely below.

| I agree that it is sometimes easier to throw away other people's work
| and start from scratch, ignoring the developers who spent time on
| this.  However, in this case, it is blatantly ignoring the goal to (a)
| release sarge soon and (b) finish the debian-installer.

If the debian-installer would have been developed further, this would
not be a problem at all.  However, Debian is struggling with the
debian-installer for several years now and it still is quite away from
being a usable installer for all stable architectures.

Since the new installer is not ready yet, the old installer hasn't been
worked on for a while so is probably not usable *anymore* another
installation system that is not (yet?) considered as the new installer
can only distract people from the debian-installer, hence delaying it
even more.

Getting boot-floppies in shape has probably delayed (even if indirectly)
not only one release.  I really wonder if this will be the same with
the debian-installer.  And I do fear that it'll happen eventually.

In other times, I would have appreciated the work Progeny did,
but in this very special case I'm not sure.

Regards,

	Joey

--
GNU does not eliminate all the world's problems, only some of them.
                                                -- The GNU Manifesto