Re: status of Progeny projects

On Mon, 2003-10-27 at 14:36, Martin Schulze wrote:

> Scott James Remnant wrote:
> > >
> > > I agree that it is sometimes easier to throw away other people's work
> > > and start from scratch, ignoring the developers who spent time on
> > > this.
> > >
> > Oh, grow up.
>
> Since you've removed essential parts of the paragraph I've written
> which could lead some people to interpret it as false as you did,
> I'm quoting it entirely below.
>
> | I agree that it is sometimes easier to throw away other people's work
> | and start from scratch, ignoring the developers who spent time on
> | this.  However, in this case, it is blatantly ignoring the goal to (a)
> | release sarge soon and (b) finish the debian-installer.
>
> If the debian-installer would have been developed further, this would
> not be a problem at all.  However, Debian is struggling with the
> debian-installer for several years now and it still is quite away from
> being a usable installer for all stable architectures.
>
> Since the new installer is not ready yet, the old installer hasn't been
> worked on for a while so is probably not usable *anymore* another
> installation system that is not (yet?) considered as the new installer
> can only distract people from the debian-installer, hence delaying it
> even more.

Ah, I apologise ... your problem is that not working on d-i will delay
the release of sarge, because it needs a new installer?

In that case, the solution is simple.  Add Progeny's work to the list of
installation systems being considered for sarge.  From Ian's mail it
sounds like they've got it in pretty good shape already.

I'm sure you have no objection to that, if it means we could release
sarge on time?

Scott
--
Have you ever, ever felt like this?