Re: status of Progeny projects

Ian Murdock wrote:
> We have ported Red Hat's Anaconda installer to Debian; essentially,
> we replaced calls to RPM with calls to APT, and replaced
> Red Hat-specific configuration hooks with calls into the configlets and
> debconf. We have also written a tool called PickAx that
> facilitates the creation of Anaconda-based Debian installation CD sets.

I wonder why Progeny "invented" yet another installer for Debian
instead of helping Debian push the debian-installer forward which is
the accepted installer for sarge.

A "new" different installer can only mean two things:

 1. ignored by the Debian community since d-i is the way to go.

or

 2. not ignored and discussions whether to use this and new porting
    work to get it work on the other Debian-supported architectures
    will probably delay the release of sarge; or split work between
    d-i and Anaconda which will also delay the release of sarge since
    d-i work is slowed down

Apart from "this does not help Debian at all" I wonder if the above
were anticipaged by Progeny.

Regards,

	Joey

PS: Maybe I'm misinterpreting this as well, so please get me on the
right track.

--
If you come from outside of Finland, you live in wrong country.
	-- motd of irc.funet.fi