Re: Work-needing packages report for Jul 11, 2003

On Sun, Jul 20, 2003 at 09:47:39AM +0200, Thomas Viehmann wrote:
> Jamin W. Collins wrote:
> > No, I'm simply stating that if applicants can be expected to work
> > through a sponsor (in some cases for upwards of 2 years) and during
> > this time expected to do just as much (through their sponsor) for
> > Debian as they would when they are a full DD, then selectively
> > accelerating an applicant because they are working on one or more
> > select areas is unnecessary and thus flawed.  If this is truly
> > needed then working through a sponsor must be some kind of a
> > hinderance.
>
> No, it's perfectly sensible from the Debian's POV. (And from the
> user's perspective, too, if she's interested in having a usable
> installer.)
>
> The usual "two packages that are somewhat useful" applicant (as I'd be
> myself, except that I don't bother at the moment), may be nice to have
> to debian. But people getting the installer into shape are those that
> Debian desperately wants and neeeds.

And nothing stated here invalidates my statements in any way.  If
sponsorship isn't viewed as any kind of a hinderance for normal
applicants then there is no need for accelerated or special treatment
for those working on select packages.

--
Jamin W. Collins

Remember, root always has a loaded gun.  Don't run around with it unless
you absolutely need it. -- Vineet Kumar