Re: Maintaining kernel source in sarge

Hello

On Mon, May 19, 2003 at 12:43:02PM -0400, David Z Maze wrote:
> Ola Lundqvist <opal@debian.org> writes:
>
> > Kernel module policy:
> > ---------------------
> >
> > * Kernel modules must be provided as a "binary source" package.
> > * Module source packages should provide a debian/rules file.
> > * The debian/rules file must compile the module if KSRC=kernelsourcedir
> >   and KVERS=versionname is priovided.
>
> I'd be slightly happier if the targets kernel-package used were
> supported here, 'debian/rules kdist-image' and such.  (This is to
> accomodate "binary source" packages that have a single debian/rules
> file that's copied verbatim from the source package to the binary
> package; both lm-sensors and i2c work this way, don't know about other
> packages.)

Hmm, that was what I wanted too. It was just too long time ago I fiddled
with the real options. I use my scripts too much I think.

> > * The debian/rules file may fail if an unsupported version of the kernel is
> >   provided by the environment.
> > * The debian/rules file may fail if no kernel-headers is in that location.
> > * The debian/rules file should handke KMAINT and KEMAIL env variables.
>
> ...in fact, this looks a lot like what kernel-package currently
> documents.  Is a separate policy from the kernel-package documentation
> needed?

Well the kernel-package documentation is what I want to be highlighted.
But they are not at mandatory (or similar) and some packages do not follow
them. They are also not complete (in my opinion at least).

> (FWIW, i2c and lm-sensors both successfully build against only the
> kernel headers, via the kernel-build-* packages.)

The kernel build-packages is a good step.

Regards,

// Ola