Re: Proposed handling of generated configuration files (Re: stop the "manage with debconf" madness)

On Sun, 20 Apr 2003 21:48:48 +0300, Jarno Elonen <elonen@iki.fi> said:

>> ucf still has the same fundamental problem with regard to
>> preconfiguration, which was the primary issue that I raised in my
>> original message.  The consensus, as I recall, was that
>> preconfiguration is important, and that prompting in postinst
>> should be minimized.

> I may have missed something but why can't the changed/merged
> configuration files be saved somewhere in preinstall phase and the
> current "live" configs be overwritten only in the postinstall phase
> by dpkg or postinst scripts if the rest of the installation went
> well?

	Well, for configuration files that require the unpacked
 package to generate, you can't ask during preconfiguration. For files
 created using non essential packages, you need to wait until
 postinst, or else those utilities may not be available.

	Thus, in a number of cases, the ``new'' configuration file is
 not determinable in the preinst phase.

	Even for files in the package there is no way for ucf to get
 at them -- especially given that the files handled by ucf are not
 conffiles, and thus mingled in the package data.

	manoj
--
Virtue is a relative term. Spock, "Friday's Child", stardate 3499.1