Re: Proposed handling of generated configuration files (Re: stop the "manage with debconf" madness)

> ucf still has the same fundamental problem with regard to preconfiguration,
> which was the primary issue that I raised in my original message.  The
> consensus, as I recall, was that preconfiguration is important, and that
> prompting in postinst should be minimized.

I may have missed something but why can't the changed/merged configuration
files be saved somewhere in preinstall phase and the current "live" configs
be overwritten only in the postinstall phase by dpkg or postinst scripts if
the rest of the installation went well?

- Jarno