Re: Proposed handling of generated configuration files (Re: stop the "manage with debconf" madness)

> > I may have missed something but why can't the changed/merged
> > configuration files be saved somewhere in preinstall phase and the
> > [...]
>
> 	Well, for configuration files that require the unpacked
>  package to generate, you can't ask during preconfiguration. For files
>  created using non essential packages, you need to wait until
>  postinst, or else those utilities may not be available.

I have a feeling that these cases are actually quite rare. At least with a
little help, the developers currently facing those few cases would most
likely be able to split their packages so that proper pre-depends could be
applied. Or am I provably being too optimistic?

- Jarno