Re: Proposed handling of generated configuration files (Re: stop the "manage with debconf" madness)

On Sun, 20 Apr 2003 23:49:50 +0300, Jarno Elonen <elonen@iki.fi> said:

> Thanks, I read the thread. So the reason was that configuration file
> generation is mostly done in postinst scripts? I didn't quite get
> why it couldn't in practically all cases be done in preinst (or even
> a completely new installation if required), though. Could you
> provide some counter-example(s)?

	my package contains /usr/bin/floobargle that I use to analize
 the system to create a configuration file.  /usr/bin/floobargle is
 not available until unpacked.

	Or, I have a file I can generate, which is in
 /usr/lib/foo/bar.conf; and this file is large, and changes often, I
 do not want to embed it inline in my packages preinst file.

> I doubt the (pre-)dependencies on tools used for generation would
> really be a problem - the generation scripts are usually quite
> simple and can usually use pretty standard tools that don't change
> much.

	It depends on what I use to generate the file. A few xml
 files, a little bit of xsl transofrms, and you have a ton of
 prepends.

	manoj
--
"I was recently on a tour of Latin America, and the only regret I have
was that I didn't study Latin harder in school so I could converse