Re: Why is only the latest unstable package considered for testing?

On Mon, Apr 14, 2003 at 01:44:40PM -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:
> Sven Luther wrote:
> > BTW, do you know if uploading a package to testing-update will be
> > considered by the testing scripts if the unstable version is a new
> > version and/or too buggy and such ? This would be a neat way to
> > rebuilding a testing package which is holding back huge amount of other
> > packages and just needs a rebuild, but the unstable version is not
> > considered for this, since it depends on a huge amount of other (broken)
> > packages.
>
> To the best of my knowledge there are no autobuilders for testing.
> The autobuilders use unstable.  Therefore in order to accomplish what
> you suggest one would need to manually build on all of the Debian
> supported architectures using testing or stable and then upload the
> binary builds for all architectures.  And there may be other gotchas
> too.

Yes, but it is better than having our packages hold back by libvorbis
and the 105 or so packages that will be breaken by its inclusion in
testing, many of them have big RC bugs and such, and will not be
includable in testing for a long time.

I feel a bit discouraged by this, we have held a mini-freeze of the
ocaml packages since december and more seriously since the new libc6
entered testing, and all this for nothing. And any further work on these
packages is blocked until we either abandon this mini-freeze. I believe,
but i have really no way to be sure, that the removal of two packages
from testing will allow 40 or so other packages from sid to enter
testing, and we, the ocaml debian packagers, have decided that this was
the best course of action, both for us and for our users (which mostly
use Stefano's woody backport anyway, and often complain about the
situation). But i didn't even get a reply to the already 2 weeks old bug
for the removal of those packages.

How well, there is always other things to work on, ...

(going back to see of i could best go about to transform the X cvs
bi-monthly snapshots into debian packages).

Friendly,

Sven Luther