Re: multiarchitecture binaries - technical obstacles?

Couldn't this be done more easily just by having the debian packages be
multi-arch bundles where an executable for each platform is included?
Why is it necessary to pack them all into the same elf file and then
strip that later?

It's not really a good idea to modify the files produced by a binary
package after install anyway, since that thwarts security/administation
measures like hashing a file against the version in the source package
to verify that it's correct.

Doing this might reduce the archive size, but it would increase
bandwidth use on the mirrors, since either way the packages would be
bigger.

-J