Re: Apt-get for users

Hi,

On Sat, Apr 05, 2003 at 03:12:51PM +0100, Andrew Suffield wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 05, 2003 at 11:55:56AM +0200, Thomas Petazzoni wrote:
> > I think it would be possible to have a installed package database per
> > user, and allow packages to be installed in the $HOME of the
> > users. The system administrator would have statistics about the
> > softwares installed by the users, and if a package is installed by
> > many users, he can decided to install it system-wide, and remove it
> > from the $HOME of the users.
>
> The packages will still try to look in /etc for their config files,
> and so on. This is a vast amount of work that would require patching
> most packages in the archive.

True. What about source packages only then? If you allow users to
configure a package with /home/$USER as $PREFIX before building, and you
have a nice mechanism to fetch a source package, build and install as
easy as an apt-get, you can perhaps do this without affecting current
binary packages.

Cheers,

Emile.

--