Re: Apt-get for users

Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder wrote:
> On Saturday 05 April 2003 18:38, Thomas Viehmann wrote:
>
>>Colin Watson wrote:

>>>Can I puke now or do I have to wait until later?
>>
>>I don't want to claim that it's a good idea, it just seems to be what
>>everyone else does (and hey, after all, didn't we tag clusters bad in FATs
>>to have a place to store our encrypted directory data?).
>>If you have time to waste though, I'd certainly be interested in why it's
>>that appalling...
> One thing that comes to mind: there's packages that want the real /etc because
> they are installed globally, and there's packages that want the fake /etc
> because the are installed in $HOME. How can you clearly distinguish these
> cases? Even when a locally installed package internally calls a globally
> installed one?
>
> I think the suggestion of only doing this for source packages is the right
> one.
Yes. I've thought about that. However, I think this can be overcome by having
"open" et al. check $HOME/myroot/* first and then /*. Write opens on things in
/* could be handled by copying the file first.
I do recognize that this is not the way to go for permanently running things,
however, I think that this could help when you want to test something quickly on
an architechture you only have loaned a user access for but cannot install
packages easily. Example: I have (privately for now) a kde package and wouldn't
want to have to compile KDE on an architecture just to be able to test
compilation and installation of my package. Installing in $HOME might be OK for
that, though.
For permanent installation, this clearly isn't the right way to go, for
temporary deviations to the debian configuration, IFAICT there might be some
justification for the approach. (Just like fakeroot isn't intended to be
generally used instead of sudo.)

Cheers

T.