Re: Apt-get for users

On Sat, Apr 05, 2003 at 11:55:56AM +0200, Thomas Petazzoni wrote:
> I think it would be possible to have a installed package database per
> user, and allow packages to be installed in the $HOME of the
> users. The system administrator would have statistics about the
> softwares installed by the users, and if a package is installed by
> many users, he can decided to install it system-wide, and remove it
> from the $HOME of the users.

The packages will still try to look in /etc for their config files,
and so on. This is a vast amount of work that would require patching
most packages in the archive.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ | Dept. of Computing,
 `. `'                          | Imperial College,
   `-             -><-          | London, UK