Re: May I temporarily move away a conffile of a conflicting package?

>  Idea:
>  * exim4 postinst configure [ Disable eximv3 ]
>    1 When eximv4 is installed check whether eximv3 conffiles using the
>      bad test are installed, otherwise goto end
>    2 move the respective file to $file.exim4disabled and generate a new
>      $file that basically says "This file has been temporarily renamed,
>      see $file.exim4disabled for the original one"
>  * postrm uninstall: [ reenable eximv3 ]
>    if [ -e $file.exim4disabled ] && md5sum shows it is it is the
>                                     original dummy file.
>       if [ -e $file ]
>         # exim v3 has still not been purged
>         mv $file.exim4disabled $file
>       else # exim v3 has been purged
>         rm $file.exim4disabled
>       fi
>    else do nothing.
>
>  Is this allowed?     Yes[ ]    No[ ]
>  Is this too fragile  Yes[ ]    No[ ]
>  Better ideas?

I think for extra safety you should ship /usr/sbin/exim not executable
in exim4.  Once the postinst has taken care of the problem as you
propose or otherwise, it can chmod a+x /usr/sbin/exim.

This make the process more robust.

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>