Re: ifupdown writes to /etc... a bug?

Jameie Wilkinson wrote:
>In case you hadn't noticed, booting is a special case.  Notice how most
>stuff lives in /var and /usr, and not in the similarly named directories in
>/?

I only have two directories in /var/ that appear in /. I have somewhat
more in /tmp than I do in /var/tmp, and more in /lib than I do in
/var/lib. Am I missing your point here?

>/run is justified for parts of Debian that require a state directory and are
>run before the rest of the operating system has finished starting up.
>?

But there really don't seem to be many of those.

>/run is justified for parts of Debian that require a state directory and are
>run before the rest of the operating system has finished starting up.

Mountall is called early in the boot sequence. I can't see anything in
my startup that ought to be storing runtime state that happens before
that. A network mounted /var is a special case, not normal booting.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59-chiark.mail.debian.devel@srcf.ucam.org