ifupdown writes to /etc... a bug?

before i file this with the BTS, gimme your opinions...

ifupdown manages the state of interfaces with the file
/etc/network/ifstate. this file is being written to. isn't that
a violation of the FHS, and should ifstate not live under /var?

`. `'`

NOTE: The pgp.net keyservers and their mirrors are broken!
Get my key here: http://people.debian.org/~madduck/gpg/330c4a75.asc