Re: ifupdown writes to /etc... a bug?

On Fri, Mar 14, 2003 at 01:34:19PM +0000, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> Jameie Wilkinson wrote:
> >In case you hadn't noticed, booting is a special case.  Notice how most
> >stuff lives in /var and /usr, and not in the similarly named directories in
> >/?

> I only have two directories in /var/ that appear in /. I have somewhat
> more in /tmp than I do in /var/tmp, and more in /lib than I do in
> /var/lib.

Really?  I think your machine represents an exception, not the norm:

$ du -sh /lib /var/lib
19M     /lib
134M    /var/lib

on my workstation, and

$ du -sh /lib /var/lib
5.8M    /lib
234M    /var/lib

on one of my servers.

> >/run is justified for parts of Debian that require a state directory and are
> >run before the rest of the operating system has finished starting up.
> >?

> But there really don't seem to be many of those.

How many are required before people will acknowledge that there's a gap
in the FHS specification?

> >/run is justified for parts of Debian that require a state directory and are
> >run before the rest of the operating system has finished starting up.

> Mountall is called early in the boot sequence. I can't see anything in
> my startup that ought to be storing runtime state that happens before
> that. A network mounted /var is a special case, not normal booting.

And therefore we should ignore the needs of users who have
network-mounted /var partitions?  I thought the point of a distribution
was to spread the burden of making the software work, so that people can
spend their time getting real work done instead...

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer