Re: ifupdown writes to /etc... a bug?

It is now clear to me that the question about creating /mem
containing a fs that is RAM-based-if-possible is orthogonal
to the question about creating a runtime state directory that
is rw, persistent-until-reboot, and network-independent.
/mem is neither necessary to solve the runtime state problem
nor sufficient to solve it in every case.  The most that can
be said is that it would be useful, sometimes, in solving
this and other problems.

Given this orthogonality, I suggest that the /mem debate be
carried on in another thread.

In *this* thread I am proposing that /var/run should be the
standard path to our runtime state directory and that it should
be a symlink (both before and after /var is mounted) to another
directory that is rw, persistent-until-reboot, and network-
independent.

If the conclusion of the other debate is that /mem will be
created, then it is open to us to decide that /var/run should
be a symlink to /mem/run.  If the conclusion of the other
debate is that no /mem will be created, then it is open to us
to decide that /var/run should be a symlink to /run or to
/dev/shm as appropriate.

--
Thomas Hood <jdthood0@yahoo.co.uk>