Re: ifupdown writes to /etc... a bug?

Hi,

On Wed, Mar 12, 2003 at 04:55:00PM +0100, Thomas Hood wrote:

> It is now clear to me that the question about creating /mem
> containing a fs that is RAM-based-if-possible is orthogonal
> to the question about creating a runtime state directory that
> is rw, persistent-until-reboot, and network-independent.

Largely, yes. I also agree that /mem should be debated on its own
merits, one of it being that it solves an early /var/run.

> /mem is neither necessary to solve the runtime state problem
> nor sufficient to solve it in every case.

I don't understand why it wouldn't be sufficient to solve the runtime
state problem in every case? AFAICS it does.

> In *this* thread I am proposing that /var/run should be the
> standard path to our runtime state directory and that it should
> be a symlink (both before and after /var is mounted) to another
> directory that is rw, persistent-until-reboot, and network-
> independent.

It's /very/ similar to Mike's older proposal. The messy part about it is
that you put something in /var (the 'run' symlink) that you will have
to remove before something can be mounted over /var, at least for older
or non-linux kernels. Also, you'll have to keep the symlink in the
pre-mounted case synchronised to the symlink in the real /var fs.

Accessing the hidden /var after something is mounted on /var will be
somewhat of a challenge.

Cheers,

Emile.

--