Re: debconf template translation

On Fri, 28 Feb 2003 22:59:56 +0900
Junichi Uekawa <dancer@netfort.gr.jp> wrote:

> > > How about you continue filing bugs with translated templates for
> > > the time being? The release is not anywhere on the horizon.
> > You understand that's almost an infinite amount of work? (Although
> > it can be automated.)
>
> Notice that buildd maintainers are doing almost that for
> fail-to-build-from-source bugs, so it is not entirely
> impossible.

No, but I suspect that the number of package that do not build when
uploaded is far less than the number of packages that miss some
translations.

> Basically, maintainer system is somewhat working with
> build failure bugs, where we have
>
> 1. buildd.debian.org to initially check build failures
So you propose that it would check if all available translations are
added to the package.

> 2. bugs are filed after buildd maintainers check the build log
And then file bugs if that isn't done...

Well if it can detect that, why not let it also just add the
translations. After all adding some translations is far less complicated
than a FTBS bug, which undoubtedly needs human (maintainer)
intervention. In that case we do not need to:
> 3. if maintainer does not respond, someone NMUs the build failure.

The only price we have to pay is that we probably will have to change
the packaging/build system (which is probably not easy, sorry no
experience there;).

grts Tim