Re: debconf template translation

On Thu, Feb 27, 2003 at 08:04:22PM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> Michael Bramer wrote:
> > We need a way to get the translations to the debian user, without any
> > work of the package maintainers. They only delay the whole process.
>
> It would help if you would provide an easy (automatable) way to download
> the translations for a package in form of a po-debconf .po file. As it
> is it takes far too much manipulation to get the data that is there into
> a usable form.

Yes, for the package integration, this will be the best way. I already
make some (bugy) po debconf files for some testing. See
http://ddtp.debian.org/debconf/template_unstable/beep/templates-de.po

But sorry, I say it again: this is not a real solution for all packages (IMHO)
 - some package maintains don't like translations (I don't need this
   stuff, it is only work)
 - some packages are not (really) maintained.
 - if a package have a aktiv maintainer, he must choose:
   - he can make daily uploads with new/fixed translations, only work
     and this all hit the autobuilders
   - he can collect some translations stuff and make builds only all
     weeks/months

This all make a very big delay. If we can, we should not use any
package maintainer in this loop. We should use something like
 - sub packages
 - own PACKAGE-l10n-LANG packages with all translations (not only
   debconf, also all other forms: man, po, README's, info, ...)
 - use bigger l10n-LANG packages like the kde-l10n-* packages, see below

> > On debian-i18n@ we talk about this and maybe we have found one way.
> >
> > The DDTP make some test debconf dat files with translations, you can
> > download this files from a URL like:
> > http://ddtp.debian.org/debconf/template_unstable/debconf-de.dat.new
> > (replace 'de' with 'da', 'fr', ... for a other language)
> >
> > If you now change your debconf config like this:
> > |Name: templatedb_debconf
> > |Driver: File
> > |Mode: 644
> > |Filename: /var/cache/debconf/templates.dat
> > |
> > |Name: templatedb_de
> > |Driver: File
> > |Mode: 644
> > |Filename: /var/cache/debconf/debconf-de.dat.new
> > |Readonly: true
> > |Required: false
> > |
> > |Name: templatedb
> > |Driver: Stack
> > |Stack: templatedb_debconf, templatedb_de
> > you see all this translations and you can use it!
> >
> > I test it myself, it work! (The dat files still produce some warnings,
> > but I will fix this.)
> >
> > Maybe someone have some comments about this?!
> >
> > If nobody have objections, I will produce some debonf-l10n-LANG.deb packages
> > with all debconf translations from the DDTP and a working debconf.conf
> > example...
>
> I guess you're welcome to do this but it is fundamentally a hack.

A hack?

I only find the missing version controll system in debconf a problem.
But this is not a translation only problem. This is a real debconf bug.

I write a mail to you (joeyh) some days ago, you got this mail? Read
this part of it:
| - The debconf dat file don't need the english text. This is IMHO a big
|   problem. Not only for us. You get all the time the text from the
|   stack top db!
|
|   Joey please thought about this:
|    - someone use a stacked debconf config with some central debconf
|      datas (with defaults) and one privat one.
|    - in both db's are all Infos from package foo
|    - he update this package
|    - the central debconf db is readonly, the package foo has some new
|      templates and change some old ones.
|    - debconf show the text of the old template from the central debconf
|      db.
|    - But maybe the changes in the text of the new package version are
|      important
|   You see the problem?
|
|   If the maintainer change the meaning of a template or add/change
|   important notes, he must use a other templates name!

Maybe this problem is documented, but I don't find a warning...

Joey I have a other question too:
  Can you add some blocks like this
|Name: templatedb_de
|Driver: File
|Mode: 644
|Filename: /var/cache/debconf/debconf-de.dat
|Readonly: true
|Required: false
  and use the Stack-driver per default in your debconf config shipped
  with the debian package?

  This should break nothing and we don't need change the debconf config
  with this l10n packages...

Gruss
Grisu
--
Michael Bramer  -  a Debian Linux Developer      http://www.debsupport.de
Make a software that is foolproof, and only fools will want to use it.