On Wed, 2002-11-13 at 09:20, John Goerzen wrote:
> If we go with the "set up another non-free repository" option, then yes, it
> is likely that they would have to manually edit their sources.list.  New
> users, though, could get a new entry in the same manner they would today --
> by answering yes to the installer question asking them about it.

if the installer asks about it, then it's "part of debian".  I'd much
rather that the installer ignore non-free, people who want it will know
how to add it anyways, and keep the rest of the status-quo.

> I don't think it's a really difficult thing to do.  I think that if people
> want that software, they would be happy to do it.  I wonder why you think
> there is that reluctance?  I haven't heard of that brought up before, and
> I'm curious why you think that.

it takes time and resources that would be duplicating a lot of the
effort that is already put into maintaing the debian mirror system.
duplicate effort/resources is bad.