John Goerzen wrote:
> in your sources.list.  BTW, you do realize that I maintain non-free packages
> myself, right?

I maintain 50 debian pkgs (with 8 more in the new queue). Five of
these packages are in non-free.

> You still have yet to point out how this actually hurts people.

I am against the proposal. To my thinking, the detriment is significantly
greater than any improvment.

Here's how I think it actually hurts people:

Users can no longer apt-get non-free packages from the debian mirrors
which are already in their sources.list. Each person wanting to use
contrib or non-free would have to manually edit their file. In my
experience, there is a significant reluctance for users to add
non-official repositories to their source.list.

I also maintain 5 contrib packages. These pkgs could no longer expect
to have their non-free dependencies automatically downloaded from a
Debian mirror.

To my think, this GR takes away significantly while returning, though
some benefit, very little in comparison.

--
       Kevin Rosenberg        |  .''`.  ** Debian GNU/Linux **
  http://b9.com/debian.html   | : :' :      The  universal