>>"John" == John Goerzen <jgoerzen@complete.org> writes:

 John> On Wed, Nov 13, 2002 at 02:46:01PM +1100, Craig Sanders wrote:
 >> you're right - non-free is not in Debian GNU/Linux itself.  that's
 >> certainly true.
 >>
 >> the problem is that you think a little hand-waving and yelling will make
 >> everyone forget that a non-free section is in the the debian archive and
 >> that we can just get rid of it without disrupting anything or
 >> inconveniencing anyone.

 John> I did not state the removal from the next release would have
 John> zero impact.  I believe, though, that the impact will be
 John> negligible.

	On what are you basing this belief? There a re number of
 packages that are being used by people out there (I have less than
 one half of 1% of my packages as non-free, and yet those non free
 packages are there since I can't do without them. If they are not on
 Debian servers, I know one that won't be available to people for
 use.

 >> sorry, we're not that stupid.

 John> You have yet to demonstrate even one material problem that
 John> would arise from non-free being removed from Debian servers in
 John> future releases.

	I would have thought that removing packages one uses from a
 central repository, maintained by people whose OS I trust, is a
 patently obvious degradation of ease of use to a user of debian.

 John> You still have yet to point out how this actually hurts people.

	I am afraid that if you still do not see the impact on users,
 nothing that can be said can show it to you.

	manoj
--
 You are only young once, but you can stay immature indefinitely.