>>"John" == John Goerzen <jgoerzen@complete.org> writes:

 John> On Wed, Nov 13, 2002 at 02:46:01PM +1100, Craig Sanders wrote:
 >> you're right - non-free is not in Debian GNU/Linux itself.  that's
 >> certainly true.
 >> the problem is that you think a little hand-waving and yelling will make
 >> everyone forget that a non-free section is in the the debian archive and
 >> that we can just get rid of it without disrupting anything or
 >> inconveniencing anyone.

 John> I did not state the removal from the next release would have
 John> zero impact.  I believe, though, that the impact will be
 John> negligible.

	On what are you basing this belief? There a re number of
 packages that are being used by people out there (I have less than
 one half of 1% of my packages as non-free, and yet those non free
 packages are there since I can't do without them. If they are not on
 Debian servers, I know one that won't be available to people for

 >> sorry, we're not that stupid.

 John> You have yet to demonstrate even one material problem that
 John> would arise from non-free being removed from Debian servers in
 John> future releases.

	I would have thought that removing packages one uses from a
 central repository, maintained by people whose OS I trust, is a
 patently obvious degradation of ease of use to a user of debian.

 John> You still have yet to point out how this actually hurts people.

	I am afraid that if you still do not see the impact on users,
 nothing that can be said can show it to you.

 You are only young once, but you can stay immature indefinitely.