Re: [hertzog@debian.org: Re: Woody retrospective and Sarge introspective]

On Wed, Jul 31, 2002 at 10:52:03AM +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:

> If that is the only concern, I can write some tools to track this kind
> of things and inform the developers. It's already part of my plan to

You haven't addressed how dependancy handling is going to work with this
system yet.  You've also not really explained why this distribution is
going to be able to avoid getting packages with uncaught errors in them.
Basically, this seems to have many of the disadvantages of
unstable and most of those of testing.  I'm not sure it really offers
enough to outweigh that.

> write something like that for sending "status" mail to the PTS and the
> maintainer.

If you can automatically determine when the package is ready to progress
then you should be able to just progress it.

> Furthermore, our users would complain sooner or later if the new
> package doesn't get into testing ...

Do you usually care if you have an outdated ls installed?