Re: [hertzog@debian.org: Re: Woody retrospective and Sarge introspective]

Le Wed, Jul 31, 2002 at 01:03:53AM +0100, Colin Watson écrivait:
> It took people quite a number of months even to notice that testing
> existed, and I have the impression that many developers still don't pay
> attention to it (I'll not single out examples, but there's plenty of
> confusion in the archives of debian-devel). What makes you think that
> people won't carry on uploading to unstable as they have done since
> 199x, and that packages won't therefore languish unfixed from release to
> release?

If that is the only concern, I can write some tools to track this kind
of things and inform the developers. It's already part of my plan to
write something like that for sending "status" mail to the PTS and the
maintainer.

Furthermore, our users would complain sooner or later if the new
package doesn't get into testing ...

> I think unstable should carry on feeding into the release, just perhaps
> with finer-grained controls.

What kind of finer-grained controls do you think about ?

Cheers,