Re: postgresql and debconf [Re: package and dpkg improvements to help autoinstallers]

On Tue, 2002-07-30 at 09:27, Federico Di Gregorio wrote:
> Il mar, 2002-07-30 alle 08:50, Oliver Elphick ha scritto:

> > > Does anyone have a list of the packages that are real problems in this regard?
> >
> > postgresql does not yet use debconf.  I don't know how many people try
> > to install it automatically.
>
> what about simply asking the user if he wants automated upgrades,
> specifing that they *require* interactive presence from the user? if the
> user choose not to, every time an upgrade is necessary just mail root
> and put in the mail the address of an upgrade script.

I'd guess the big problem here would be how to install the new binaries.

Perhaps as 'xxx.new' which the upgrade script would then move to the
real names after having done the dump.

Moving the actual update operation outside the pkg install seems a good
idea to me; db upgrade is really something special. I'd compare it to
the 'software upgrades must not touch /home' policy: db upgrades do
exactly this, touching user data.

cheers
-- vbi

--