Re: Planned packages for sarge

On 22 Jul 2002 21:50:23 +0200
Tollef Fog Heen <tollef@add.no> wrote:

> Also, tighter integration with debconf and base-config is needed.
> Support for other arches is needed.  fixing the cdebconf slang
> frontend might be needed.  anna needs to support Release files,
> hopefully signed ones (which implies that we need a way to verify the
> signature -> gpgv-udeb or something like that).  more i18n work is
> needed, including switching to utf8 frontends or something.  docs are
> needed.

i18n work is required on these fronts:

i18n of debconf database:
  possible make templates that d-i and cdebconf use to be in utf-8
  make utf-8 support in debconf (convert from utf-8 for non-utf8 terminals)

i18n of cdebconf frontend
  fix up slang frontend to use slang-utf8, possibly.

(debconf i18n is not really "complete" and that's a step backwards from
boot-floppies, because b-f used a lightweight gettext, so we have
a few things to do before i18n will work on d-i)

The more hairy part would be to start porting to other arches.
The worst code in boot-floppies is probably the one for
creating the bootable image on each architecture
(hello kernel.sh?), and d-i probably can't stay immune
from that :P

regards,
	junichi

--