Re: Special menu needs of user subgroups (Debian Jr. & Med)

On Wed, Jul 17, 2002 at 02:05:27PM +0200, Jesus Climent wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 17, 2002 at 08:54:04AM -0300, Ben Armstrong wrote:
> > - the Jr. and Med projects have their own top-level directory and the
> >   Jr. and Med projects are free to structure the menus beneath these
> >   top-level directories however we see fit
>
> What about
>
> - Perhaps X-Expertise-Level=(novice|intermediate|advanced)
> + Perhaps X-Expertise-Level=(junior|medium|novice|intermediate|advanced)

You miss the point.  Junior is not a "level".  It is a role.  If I am a
parent wishing to see what my children see on their accounts, I may very
well want to be part of group "junior".  Furthermore, "med" is certainly not
a level.  It, too, is a role.

> And use some kind of similar parser idea as debconf?
>
> If a user/group has a request of a certain menu level, the parser
> creates entries for that level and all the packages belonging the the
> lower levels (i.e., if I request intermediate, i get also the junior
> ones).

I just don't like the level idea at all.  The lines are not very clearly
drawn between what is "novice", what is "intermediate", and what is
"advanced" whereas the separation of menu entries into special kinds of
users, each of which is served by a working group within Debian is very
clearly defined.

Ben