(Possible) menu code rewrite

After banging my head against the wall with the Debian menu package
for a while, I'm seriously considering a rewrite or a replacement
package that accomplishes the following goals:

- Complete backward compatibility with existing menu entries.
- Built-in support for conversion to .desktop files for KDE and Gnome.
- Works reliably on all Debian platforms.

Other (undecided) goals:

- Backward compatibility with /etc/menu-methods files (install-menu):
  I'm not all that enamored of the syntax.  It may be better to start
  from scratch here.

- Include a script to turn .desktop files into Debian menu files:
  Probably only useful for developers.  Would need to convert icons to
  xpms using some other tool (mogrify, Gimp via script-fu, NetPBM+pngtopnm).

What I have so far is working parser for menu entries that seems to
work with all the menu entries on my systems.  You can look at my
current CVS at http://130.74.162.251/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi under newmenu.
(That's also where reportbug CVS is hiding these days.)

Chris
--
Chris Lawrence <cnlawren@olemiss.edu> - http://www.lordsutch.com/chris/

Instructor and Ph.D. Candidate, Political Science, Univ. of Mississippi
208 Deupree Hall - 662-915-5765