(Possible) menu code rewrite

After banging my head against the wall with the Debian menu package
for a while, I'm seriously considering a rewrite or a replacement
package that accomplishes the following goals:

- Complete backward compatibility with existing menu entries.
- Built-in support for conversion to .desktop files for KDE and Gnome.
- Works reliably on all Debian platforms.

Other (undecided) goals:

- Backward compatibility with /etc/menu-methods files (install-menu):
  I'm not all that enamored of the syntax.  It may be better to start
  from scratch here.

- Include a script to turn .desktop files into Debian menu files:
  Probably only useful for developers.  Would need to convert icons to
  xpms using some other tool (mogrify, Gimp via script-fu, NetPBM+pngtopnm).

What I have so far is working parser for menu entries that seems to
work with all the menu entries on my systems.  You can look at my
current CVS at under newmenu.
(That's also where reportbug CVS is hiding these days.)

Chris Lawrence <cnlawren@olemiss.edu> - http://www.lordsutch.com/chris/

Instructor and Ph.D. Candidate, Political Science, Univ. of Mississippi
208 Deupree Hall - 662-915-5765