Re: Special menu needs of user subgroups (Debian Jr. & Med)

On Wed, Jul 17, 2002 at 08:54:04AM -0300, Ben Armstrong wrote:
> > Yes, something like that would be sufficient.  Or perhaps Target-Audience
> > which could just as easily be novice, sysadmin, or whatever?  I haven't
> > really given this the thought it deserves yet.  Just figured I'd suggest
> > it while it was in my mind that it would be a good thing.
>
> Debian Jr. needs menus tailored for a special user base: children.  Andreas
> Tille also has a special group of users to cater to with his project,
> Debian-Med.  He and I are working within the curent menu system with these
> ideas:
>
> - each subgroup member should be part of a common Unix group
>
> - menus are one of several things that might be tailored for this group
>
> - in each Jr. or Med meta-package[1], the postinst will run a helper script
>   to populate ~/.menu/ for all members of the appropriate group
>
> - the Jr. and Med projects have their own top-level directory and the
>   Jr. and Med projects are free to structure the menus beneath these
>   top-level directories however we see fit

What about

- Perhaps X-Expertise-Level=(novice|intermediate|advanced)
+ Perhaps X-Expertise-Level=(junior|medium|novice|intermediate|advanced)

And use some kind of similar parser idea as debconf?

If a user/group has a request of a certain menu level, the parser
creates entries for that level and all the packages belonging the the
lower levels (i.e., if I request intermediate, i get also the junior
ones).

Jesus Climent | Unix System Admin | Helsinki, Finland.
http://www.HispaLinux.es/~data/  |  data.pandacrew.org
Please, encrypt mail address to me: GnuPG ID: 86946D69
FP: BB64 2339 1CAA 7064 E429  7E18 66FC 1D7F 8694 6D69
Registered Linux user #66350 Debian 3.0 & Linux 2.4.19

What is "real"? How do you define "real"?
		--Morpheus (The Matrix)