Re: Clarification of WineX packaging request

In Message-ID <[🔎] 20020527092314.GS17409@flounder.net>, you stated:

> Don't get me wrong, I think what Transgaming is doing is totally bogus.

You were not referring to the copy protection mechanisms, then (which
was part of the context of your reply), but specifically to the
licensing ambiguity?

> > Even if you believe that copyright protection for software is good (as
> > many DDs do), it's hard for me to reconcile supporting the Social
> > Contract with the position that copy protection is a reasonable means
> > of copyright enforcement.

> We're talking about Transgaming's bogus pseudo-free license.  What does that
> have to do with copy protection?

> But Debian is opposed to things like copy protection, DLLs that can't
> be redistributed, and, well, your decision to hoard software.

Which was the message you were repyling to.  Although there's certainly
a wider range of opinions about whether non-redistributable DLLs and
software hoarding are absolute evils (which was the main thrust of your
objection, I gather), can it not at least be said that the first claim
-- copyright protection mechanisms are bad -- is universally held by
DDs?

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer