Re: Bugs being closed faster than filed: Re: Wishlist for woody+1

On Tue, May 28, 2002 at 10:13:08AM -0500, Adam Heath wrote:
> > Oddly the graphs appear to go well into June 2002, too.
> This is because I shift the 'archived bug' data by 28 days.  I'm not entirely
> certain this is correct to do.

Huh?

What're you claiming as the current values for the number of archived bugs
and the number of open bugs? As far as I can see your graph indicates
that both values are slightly above 120000. Which, uh, doesn't appear
to make any sense at all.

According to the CGI indexes, there're 26,662 open bugs at the moment and
94,523 archived bugs, making for a total of 121,185 bugs in the database.
(The remaining bugs that get us up to #148386 were lost before we started
archiving bug logs permanently, and haven't been recovered to date)

Your graph would indicate that we passed 100,000 bugs in the archive in
early March when we haven't done that yet.

> > I don't think your graphs make enough sense to try drawing conclusions
> > from them, yet.
> So what else could you conclude?

I wouldn't conclude anything yet. I don't think the data plausible.

> * load all bugs, active and archived:
> * as each bug is loaded, do a date -= date % 86400, to round all dates down to
>   the current day.
> * Additionally, for the modtime of .log, add 28 days.
> * sort this list twice:
>   * by last modified time of .log
>   * by the open date, as recorded in .status.
> * step thru the .log list, by day.
> * For each stopping point, find the same point in the open sort
> * add the current pointers to a stats list.  Also, add the delta from the last
>   round.
> * save the last 366 items, and send thru gnuplot.

You seem, then, to be graphing the Bug# of the most recently filed or
closed bug at the given date, which isn't really particularly informative.

> > Additionally, that conclusion would be in direct contradiction to what you'd
> > naturally conclude from
> > 	http://bugs.debian.org/~ajt/graph.png
> > which is that since the number of bugs is increasing, more are being
> > filed than closed, although the difference is fairly marginal.
> No, because you are excluding bugs.
> My graph includes closed, but not archived bugs.  A closed bug is still
> active, as it can be kept going, and still reopened, until the magic 28 day
> marker passes.

Sure. I exclude fixed bugs, closed bugs and wishlist bugs. It seems
a pretty unwarranted assumption to think that the treatment of these
bugs would be so completely different as to wholly reverse a trend that
appears in the remaining bugs, which are by far the majority.

Cheers,
aj

     ``BAM! Science triumphs again!''
                    -- http://www.angryflower.com/vegeta.gif