Re: Clarification of WineX packaging request

On Mon, May 27, 2002 at 02:23:14AM -0700, Adam McKenna wrote:
> On Mon, May 27, 2002 at 02:27:13AM -0700, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> > Scott Dier <dieman@ringworld.org> writes:

> > > * Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@bluecherry.net> [020527 03:24]:

> > > The winex sources doesn't include those bits.

> > Yes, but the nasty folks said that they have to be nasty about WineX
> > in order to protect copy-protection and other such things for third
> > parties.

> Don't get me wrong, I think what Transgaming is doing is totally bogus.  I am
> not defending them in any way.  I would just rather not see people projecting
> their personal opinions onto Debian, especially when not everyone in the
> organization shares those particular opinions.

If you yourself share this opinion of Transgaming's copy protection
support, on behalf of which developers are you speaking here?  I would
also have assumed that this position follows from the Social Contract.

Even if you believe that copyright protection for software is good (as
many DDs do), it's hard for me to reconcile supporting the Social
Contract with the position that copy protection is a reasonable means
of copyright enforcement.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer