Re: <joke/>Debian secure by default (was Re: hurd does NOT need /hurd)

On Ter, 2002-05-21 at 18:51, Niels Möller wrote:
> "Manuel A." Fernández Montecelo <manuel@sindominio.net> writes:
>
> > try "-nolisten TCP" in the script launching X server ;)
>
> I'll try to remember that next time a restart the X server (which
> probably happens when I can upgrade to a released and stable
> woody...).

:)

> But my point was that, *by default*, the X server listens to tcp
> connections from anywhere. (I'm running the Xsun server, so I still
> have some hope that the default behaviour is better in modern X
> packages).

yes, i know.. that's the reason of the new subject, and the idea behind
the rest of the paragraphs. i think that this kind of config options
must be active by default (not listen outside connections, servers not
being activated unless explicit confirmation, etc).

but this is my opinion, related to someone who said in these threads
that Debian is secure by default. it's not; and this is off-topic, btw
X)

> > i don't understand why AJ (release manager?) is worried about the FW
> > tools of the Hurd and states that it can't be released yet.
>
> I hope there will be a sensible list of release criteria, prepared
> with input from both the release manager the hurd folks, when Debian
> GNU/Hurd gets closer to release, and putting FW-tools on that list
> sounds pretty nonsensical. But I'm happy to postpone that discussion
> until the list is being prepared and release getting closer.

i agree. well, i really *don't know* if FW-tools are "nonsensical".

and i want to clarify, this has nothing to do with AJ, but with the
current release procedures. i agree with Philip Charles, as i said in my