Re: hurd does NOT need /hurd

On Sun, May 19, 2002 at 06:58:46PM -0700, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> Right now, the Debian GNU/Hurd port is not complete.
>
> Part of making it complete is bringing the packages and the policy
> together.  Certainly as long as there is a difference, it is not ready
> to release.

Just for some perspective, the thing that's stopping it from release
is that it doesn't work (it's been a year since I last knew what was
wrong, but missing partitioning tools, firewalling tools, an installer,
and massive incompatible bin format changes come to mind; I've no idea
how accurate they are as criticisms today though). Once you've got a
system that *works*, that you can stick on the Internet and not worry
too much about, that you can install, and so forth, you're done.

Policy conformance is an ongoing process, both in getting policy to
say the right things, and getting packages to do the right things;
heck, even in working out what "the right things" are. There'll always
be differences, no matter how hard you try. The debhelper version of
"hello world" doesn't have Build-Dependencies, eg.

Cheers,
_/\_  <--- release manager hat
 aj

     ``BAM! Science triumphs again!''