Re: Does the Hurd need /hurd ?

> is somewhat mired in the continuing misperception that Hurd
> translators are some sort of souped up kernel modules...

Indeed, they were a poor example for that specific reason.  It is a
pattern I've certainly seen often enough, though -- though on the
linux side, it's more often called "bloat" than evolution.  I was
mostly aiming for examples of things with similarly "hard core"
interfaces that people thought were OK ways of doing something until
someone came up with something useful...

PATH itself started off as some asm code to retry the command
invocation after first rolling the pointer back to the "/bin/" that
prefixed the buffer :-)