Re: Does the Hurd need /hurd ?

On Mon, May 20, 2002 at 10:37:07AM -0500, Steve Langasek wrote:
> Freeswan has gotten by just fine without the creation of a new toplevel
> directory for these commands; the supplemental binaries all exist in
> /usr/lib/ipsec/,

So the program ipsec is looking in that place for them.  This does not
happen with settrans.  And it is not ipsec <anything the user likes>, but
ipsec <some specific command from a fixed set selected by the system
administrator>, right?

This looks quite different to me.  It seems to me as that those programs are
called indirectly by the ipsec program, which has some intimate knowledge
about where to find helper programs to execute the desired operation.
Knowledge the user doesn't has and doesn't need.

No such knowledge about Hurd translators exists in settrans, and it does not
look anywhere for running them.  It doesn't even care what you try to
invoke.  The user has to do all the work here.

Thanks,
Marcus

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de