Re: Does the Hurd need /hurd ?

On Tue, May 21, 2002 at 03:48:45AM -0400, Mark Eichin wrote:
> PATH itself started off as some asm code to retry the command
> invocation after first rolling the pointer back to the "/bin/" that
> prefixed the buffer :-)

Well, maybe having a special PATH variable for translators is useful, I am
unsure.  The reasons against this is that you use passive translators just
as often, and they need a full path.

So maybe we can let settrans -a and settrans --chroot and the like
search a TRANSLATOR_PATH, and settrans -p not (with -p overriding -a).
This could be a reasonable approach.

Someone already made a careful analysis of what the different environments
of an active and passive translator setting are.  It is indeed confusing,
because they are two totally different things, but are very closely related.

However, such things should not be hacked up in debian-devel, but needs to,
as you suggested, evolve within the system to match user needs and system design
constraints.  In any case such a feature would justify moving /hurd just as
much as PATH justifies to move /bin.

Thanks,
Marcus

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de